- Smoke vs Fire – What’s the difference?Smoke barrier. Fire barrier. Smoke wall. Fire Wall. Smoke partition. Fire partition. These terms are used every day in a skilled nursing facility, and sometimes interchangeably. However, they have different … Read more
- Furniture in a Health Care Facility CorridorSkilled Nursing Facilities looking to create more of a home-like environment often incorporate furniture for resident use throughout the building. Typically, this would not include corridors, but the 2012 edition of … Read more
- NFPA 25 Sunset Date for the use of non-listed antifreezeEvery nursing home in Florida has a fire sprinkler system, but for the few facilities that have a section of their system filled with antifreeze, an important deadline is fast … Read more
- Creating Compliant Storage Rooms in Health Care FacilitiesNursing homes struggling to find storage space may resort to keeping supplies in unoccupied resident rooms or other areas of the facility not typically meant for storage. The problem with … Read more
- NFPA 99 Electrical Receptacle TestingBoth the Florida edition (2018) and CMS edition (2012) of NFPA 99 require the same testing for electrical outlets at the resident bedside. For non-hospital grade outlets at the resident … Read more
- FHCA Partners with Integrity Health Care Systems to Add Life Safety Consulting to Member BenefitsWe are excited to announce our partnership with FHCA. Clinton Slier of Integrity Health Care Systems will serve as the Association’s Life Safety Consultant. Through this partnership, we will share … Read more
- NFPA 80 Fire Door Inspections When CMS adopted the 2012 version of the Life Safety Code on July 5, 2016, facilities had one year to come into compliance with the testing of their fire rated … Read more
- Emergency Generator BatteriesThere are a lot of Florida nursing homes with new emergency generators as part of their compliance efforts. Make sure you power them correctly.